I live on the coast in the south. There’s a harbor, a few rivers, and 3 beaches nearby. Water is everywhere, and so are crabs (but not the sexy kind). She Crab Soup is a staple found commonly in our restaurants, and if you’ve ever had it, you know why.
She Crab Soup is thick, creamy deliciousness packed full of the female blue crab meat. Sometimes it’s made with crab roe, but that’s not what we’re doing here (although I have nothing against roe!).
The problem with the keto diet and soup is that soup often requires thickening with a roux, which is a mix of flour and butter. Flour is a no-go, since a roux utilizes ¼ cup or more of flour and just infuses the soup with not only carbs but processed carbs, which are both bad news for insulin.
So I had to get my (low-carb) creative juices flowing to make this Keto She Crab Soup. Check out the following notes as guidance. If you try it, let me know what you think!
Keto She Crab Soup
Since the recipe is mostly cream-based, you need to watch the temperature throughout cooking. The soup simmers for 30-ish minutes, but it can easily go full boil if you’re not careful. I’d check on the soup every 5 minutes or so and adjust accordingly so the cream doesn’t curdle. If it does curdle a bit, whisk that baby up and/or run it through a strainer if you’d like. It won’t affect the taste either way.
I used reducing and arrowroot flour to thicken the recipe. If you find that you want your soup thinner, reduce less and/or use less arrowroot flour. If you want your soup thicker, feel free to increase the arrowroot flour, just be sure to calculate the extra carbs.
Many of our local restaurants leave your tongue a little on the spicy side, but I much prefer a milder taste. Depending on your taste buds, feel free to add more (or less) hot sauce. The same goes for the dill, salt, and pepper.
I didn’t do this for mine, but you can top your soup with some more dry sherry. Totally up to you!
Keto She Crab Soup
- 4 tbsp salter butter
- 1 small onion grated
- 1 celery stalk grated
- 3 cloves garlic minced
- salt & pepper to taste
- ¼ cup chicken broth
- ½ gallon half & half
- 1 pint heavy cream
- ¼ cup sherry
- 2 tsp Worcestershire sauce
- 1 tsp hot sauce
- 1-2 tbsp fresh dill chopped
- 1 tbsp arrowroot flour
- 1 tbsp water
- 1 lb lump crab meat
- 2 tbsp fresh chives chopped
- Melt butter over medium heat in a large pot. Add in and cook the garlic, onion, celery, salt, and pepper for 3-4 minutes.
- Whisk in the chicken broth. Slowly whisk in the half & half and creamer. Bring to a simmer.
- Cover the pot and let the soup simmer for 25-35 minutes (see my notes about keeping an eye on it). You want it to reduce by ¼.
- Add the arrowroot flour and water to a small bowl and mix well. Add it to the soup and whisk.
- Add the crab meat and let simmer for 10 minutes. Serve & top with chopped chives.
*Note: None of this is medical advice.